Thursday, 12 May 2016

Aftermath

My last post was in January. My theme for the year was riding the wave. On February 6th, the waters changed dramatically with the death of my mother. It was unexpected, even at ninety-three; she left easily, quickly, with a grace that I have come to feel characterized her way of being. She left in a way that completely mirrors the departure of the apple tree last October. This is what I wrote at the time:



When I look out of the 
bedroom window 
at my mother's house, 
the apple tree is my measure of the season. 
I wonder if I 
took her for granted, 
if I assumed she would always be there, 
and so failed to continually 
appreciate her many gifts. 
Now she has gentle toppled - away from the house, 
which seems typical of her considerate nature... 


And so she has gone...
I wonder if I took her for granted,
if I assumed she would always be there,
and so failed to continually
appreciate her many gifts. 
I appreciate them now...
every day. 
Thank you.






1 comment:

  1. xoxo my friend. I wonder if it is even possible not to take another person for granted. I'm mulling, so I won't say more. I do know it's easy to overlook my mother's positive energy, and I thank you for reminding me to appreciate that often hidden bit of her complexity.

    ReplyDelete